Paris Region – at the forefront of the aerospace & defense industry
In the aerospace & defense sector, Paris Region is renowned for its specialist focus on R&T, for its vast network of skills centers and for a manufacturing capability with particular strength in aircraft engine and navigation equipment production.
Presence of major global leaders in aircraft and equipment manufacturing
- 35% of the sector’s direct employees work for four large companies: Airbus Group (14 sites), Dassault (4 sites), Safran (10 sites) and Thales (11 sites)
- Major production facilities
- Airbus Defence and Space: prime contractor on major space programs
- Dassault Aviation: military aircraft fuselages and primary components
- Safran: jet engines and components
- Airbus Helicopters: design and production of helicopter rotor blades
- Leading systems and equipment manufacturers: Zodiac, Lisi Aerospace, UTC, etc.
A center of excellence in R&T
Paris Region hosts the lion’s share of the total French workforce involved in aerospace R&T:
- 90% for business aviation
- 60% for propulsion and equipment
- 50% for space transportation
A wide range of aerospace education and training opportunities
Paris Region is also a center of excellence for training tomorrow’s technicians, engineers and researchers. The region’s higher education institutions currently offer 128 courses in this field – 45 university courses, 54 in engineering schools and 43 in other types of organization.
A technology cluster focused on aerospace-defense: ASTech Paris Region :
- More than 250 member organizations – aerospace companies, systems manufacturers, high-tech SMEs, research centres and universities.
- Collaborative projects in four strategic sectors: propulsion systems, onboard energy, materials and processes, vehicle architecture and equipment
- Some 40 ongoing projects representing research investments totaling around €180 million