Paris: beauty capital of the world
Paris Region is clearly the outstanding center of excellence for building a business in the beauty sector: the region boasts an unparalleled concentration of global corporations, R&D centers, production sites, and the distribution networks of the world’s leading players in this field. Everything happens here – design, development, testing, packaging, product launches, distribution, exports, marketing. And every year Paris hosts the international exhibition Beyond Beauty which brings together the entire industry.
The beauty profession converges on Paris for a host of other events, too – including In-Cosmetics (ingredients for cosmetics and beauty products), Beauté Sélection (hair and beauty products), Mondial Spa et Beauté, Make Up in Paris and many more.
Strategic hub for the entire industry
- All the big names have located their strategic operations – R&D, production, logistics, design and packaging – in Paris Region: including L’Oréal, LVMH, Guerlain, Clarins, Hermès, Chanel, Paco Rabane, Lancaster, Bourjois, etc.
- As have leading international brands including Johnson&Johnson, Shiseido, DHC, and Natura
- And cosmetic ingredients suppliers including Danisco, Firmenich, Givaudan, IFF and Takasago.
A key advantage for Paris Region’s beauty industry is the highly-qualified workforce at its disposal: outstanding specialist training is provided by institutions such as ISIPCA, which has been training fragrance, cosmetics and food flavoring professionals since 1970.
Research driving leadership
The region’s contract research organizations (CROs) – companies such as DermExpert – specialize in the clinical development of dermatological products. Cosmetic Valley, the world’s leading network of cosmetics and perfumery operations, officially designated as a competitiveness cluster in 2005, brings together more than 200 companies in the sector, helping manufacturers position their operations at the cutting edge of scientific innovation. This thriving network currently encompasses:
- 84 accredited R&D projects representing investments of €126 million
- 6 universities
- 200 public-sector laboratories
- 8,600 researchers (public and private sectors)
Global no.1 cosmetics region – key figures
200 companies with more than 16,000 employees – 40% of the industry total
40% of French cosmetics companies
40% of perfume wholesalers
50% of the French workforce in this sector
Revenues of €14,568 billion – 55% from exports
Home to the undisputed industry leader – L’Oréal (Lancôme, Biotherm, YSL Beauté, Vichy, La Roche Posay, etc.): sales of €20.3 billion in a global market estimated at €153 billion
Plus the LVMH Group with brands including Guerlain, Christian Dior, Kenzo Parfums, Acqua di Parma and Sephora