Healthcare and life sciences: leading the way in Europe
Paris Region stands out as Europe’s pre-eminent life sciences region, hosting a multitude of international corporations and pharmaceuticals laboratories, including Pfizer, GSK, Novartis, Astra Zeneca and Roche, alongside key French industry players like Sanofi, Pierre Fabre, Servier, Ipsen Guerbet and others.
- More than 1,000 life sciences organizations
- Pharmaceuticals industry: more than 300 companies
including Sanofi, Servier, Ipsen, Roche, GlaxoSmithKline
- Biotechnologies: more than 200 companies
including Sanofi’s biotherapeutic platform, Genzime, Cellectis
- Medical technologies: more than 360 companies
including GE Medical Systems research center, Siemens, Philips, Sorin Medical, Guerbet
Europe’s largest hospital network
- Assistance-Publique – Hôpitaux de Paris (AP-HP): 37 hospitals, 22,500 beds and 71,800 healthcare professionals (15,800 doctors) in 2011
- Europe’s biggest hospital: Pitié-Salpêtrière (1,800 beds)
Healthcare and life sciences: world-class research
- 300 public and private research centers
- 11,800 life sciences researchers
- Globally renowned institutions including the Pasteur Institute (Institut Pasteur), Curie Institute (Institut Curie), the Gustave Roussy cancer center (Institut Gustave Roussy), INSERM (French institute of health and medical research), CEA (French alternative energies and atomic energy commission), etc.
- Top-tier higher education: 9 universities, 20 “Grandes Écoles” (competitive-entry elite universities)
Europe’s leading region for clinical trials
- Europe’s no.1 biomedical research center: 865 clinical trials every year involving 20,000 patients; 2,800 ongoing research projects
- Incubators and bioparks for innovative start-ups: Genopole, Paris Biotech, Agoranov, Paris Biopark, Biocitech, Villejuif Biopark, etc.
- Leading venture capital operations including Truffle Capital, Edmond de Rothschild, Investment Partners, CMC-CIC, Auriga Partners and Sofinnova.
A healthcare and life sciences cluster: Medicen Paris Region
- 220 members
- 208 accredited projects receiving funding – representing total investments of €753 million including €353 million of state funding.
- 18 new products marketed in the fields of medical imaging and devices and biological tools.
- 3 therapeutic fields: central nervous system, cancer and infectious diseases
- 3 key technologies: imaging, tissue and cell therapy, pharmaceutical technologies