PARIS REGION: INTERNATIONAL INVESTORS ARE ATTRACTED BY ITS MEASURES
Paris Region is one of the most attractive regions in the world for international investors. In 2018, it received the award for "European Entrepreneurial Region" and was the winner of the "European Region of the Future 2018/19" by the fDi of the Financial Times. These awards were fully deserved after the implementation of its policy to boost companies, alongside additional measures, in 2017.
The Ile-de-France Regional Council is taking good care of its international investors. As proof, here are the last three measures announced by Valérie Pécresse, President of the Region, at the 50th CES2 in Las Vegas:
- "Paris Region Starter Pack" assists international companies that are planning to set up or create a branch in the Paris Region, by providing financial assistance and advice for their implementation, recruitment and growth plans.
- The "Innov'up Proto" competition to develop innovative prototypes, opens in 2018 for foreign companies that set up in Paris Region. Ten to 15 winners will be supported by the Cap Digital3 business cluster and will be able to exhibit their prototypes at the “Paris Region Smart Weeks” in May 2019.
- "AI Challenge Paris Region 2018" will be the first international competition in Paris Region dedicated to startups and artificial intelligence, with a prize of one million euros. Like Innov'up Proto, the challenge will be launched in the spring of 2018.
Moreover, the Paris Region Region has set up a support program for start-ups called "Entrepreneur #Leader", which supports investors at all key stages of their business creation journey, from their first funding up to the post-creation phase.
In addition, following the referendum on Brexit, international companies have access to the "Choose Paris Region" information hub, which opened on November 3, 2016 and is the result of a collaboration between the the Ile-de-France Regional Council, the City of Paris, the Parisian development and innovation agency "Paris and Co", Greater Paris, the Paris Region Chamber of Commerce and Industry and Business France. This initiative has been well-received, as Erich Bonnet, President and CIO of Smart Lenders Asset Management explains, "We particularly appreciated the proactivity and responsiveness of ‘Choose Paris Region’, during our registration and transfer procedures in the Paris Region of France". The information hub offers comprehensive support: search for premises or employees, advice on regulations, taxes and social legislation - everything needed to simplify the administrative and installation procedures in Paris Region!
Paris Region Entreprises, the agency of the the Ile-de-France Regional Council in charge of the international attractiveness of the Region, offers a complete range of dedicated "packages", to accelerate the development of international companies in Paris Region:
- The "Access to the market" package enables investors to test the market, identify potential partners to develop their businesses in Europe and France, and to work with research laboratories, innovative business clusters and large corporate groups.
- The "Business talent & working & living" package is available to companies when they launch operations in Paris Region, including recruiting and setting up their teams: obtaining visas and work permits (with the "FastTrack" scheme), finding accommodation, administrative procedures, school registration, expat taxation and drafting employment contracts. "Paris Region Entreprises provided strong support for our search for office space in Paris, from filing our requests with real estate agencies to signing the contract," said Derek Huoth, General Counsel for Tastemade. "This support contributed to the success of our entry into the French market."
- The latest package - "Launch" - is offered to companies that want to develop their business and create a branch. This turnkey solution includes advice, procedures for opening accounts, choosing a legal structure, pre-selection of sites and visits, etc. The package also makes it possible to benefit from financing schemes offered by the Region (Paris Region "Starter Pack") and the State (Research Tax Credit, French Tech Ticket, etc.).
Paris Region Entreprises also offers the "Tech Partnership Program" and the "Global Open Innovation Network", bringing innovative international companies closer to the major research groups and laboratories in Paris Region.
 fDi (Foreign Direct Investment) Intelligence, a service of the Financial Times, is an international center of excellence dedicated to foreign investment.
 Cap Digital is the regional business cluster for digital transformation.